Sunday, October 7, 2007

Death Note




























Soooo...as you all know, we watched a snippet of Death Note the other day in class.

I'm ashamed to say that I finished the entire anime already. hahahahahaohgodamIadork.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, or if you weren't particularly interested, you should be! Just to give a tiny synopsis: The main character is a kid named Yagami Light, who finds a notebook one night when he's walking home. He realizes (from directions inside the front cover of the 'Death Note') that he can write people's names in the notebook and they'll die within seconds. The entire series then follows Light as he tries to fool L (another genius teenager who is working with the Japanese police and is hot on his tail) into thinking that he is not "Kira," or the notorious murderer who believes he is 'cleansing' the world of criminals. The storyline incorporates every aspect that makes murder mysteries great, without the frustration of WONDERING until the end of the story WHO the killer is. Another great part about the series is the question of whether or not Kira's (from the english word 'Killer') mission is justified or not. Kira has his own batch of supporters who consider him to be judging criminals righteously. Some even consider him God.

Either way, you should check it out. If only for my favorite character:
Ryuk's just so cute, isn't he? He's a Death God, or a "Shinigami" and he basically comes with the Death Note. Only the possessor of the Death Note can see him, so don't look for him over your shoulder as you're walking down Broadway. (Unless you're Kira, of course...)

Either way, he's adorable because he eats Apples, which are like alcohol or cigarettes for Death Gods. Meaning, if he doesn't get them, he goes through withdrawal. During which he stands on his head and twists about.














Aww. He's so cuuuute... I want my own shinigami...

6 comments:

アリス said...

リュックはかわいいですね!! みさがすきです。 I like Misa the best. She and Light are my favorites.

Johanna said...

Wow, you are an expert! I started digging more into the Japanese dramas and it's also a one good way of learning! = ]

-Johanna from section 3 Japanese!

MissJenny said...

have u watched the movie of Death Notes?(not the animation). I watched it and felt it really gloommy. Nontheless it's a good movie. Unfortunately it was banned in China later on cus the government didn't want us to immitate the movie characters. what a pity!!!

---Jenny from Sec.3 Japanese :)

Bryan Turley said...

Shinigamis again!

I've been watching various animes for a while now, but until recently I'd sorta avoided watching Bleach, or Death Note for that matter. In case you haven't watched Bleach, it's about shinigamis as well and it's turned out to be a really interesting show. Guess I'll have to check out Death Note now. Also...you guys are really lucky you got to watch it in class, I'm pretty jealous.

Caitlin said...

I've seen very little of the Death Note anime, but I love the manga. L is my favorite, but Ryuk is adorable, hahaha. I don't think I would want a shinigami, because I definitely wouldn't want to use the Death Note (but I wouldn't mind having an L around to solve mysteries for me while looking adorable and eating all my sweets.)

Have you seen the Death Note live action movie? It's pretty cool!

Seri said...

Some other anime, Full Moon wo Sagashite, is also based around shinigami, but the more mahou shoujo style.