Sunday, September 16, 2007

Anime!


So, I've been reading other people's blogs and I feel absolutely terrible. I have no earthly clue how to make my browser register Japanese characters. Does anybody know? I could have sworn that there was an explanation on how to do it on CourseWorks, but I went to go look tonight and I couldn't find it.

Anyway--on to the real post.

I was motivated to take Japanese in large part because I have a very close friend who took it last year and loved every moment of it. Since we share a lot of interests, and I already liked the idea of taking Japanese, I couldn't see why I shouldn't do it. (Besides, he brags a lot. Somebody's got to put him in his place, right? ;-) )

I can't deny. I'm also taking Japanese because I absolutely adore anime, and I've always thought it thrilling when I'd watch an episode and recognize a word or two. I can actually say 'Please launch!' ("Haashin, dozo!") in Japanese. See what I mean? So I wondered what it would be like to learn actual phrases that would be useful in SPEAKING Japanese to other people....being that I think some people would give me odd looks if I ran up to them and shouted, "HAASHIN, DOZO!"

Anyway.

I think Jade asked what animes I'm into, so I'll give a few quick names off the top of my head...
Saiyuki, Wolf's Rain, Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED Destiny, Trigun, Inuyasha, Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, Gravitation, anything by Miyazaki...um...amongst many, MANY others. Also, whether I liked it or not, if it'd been on television and it's Japanese, I've probably seen it. (Oh, lame, I know. ha!) But that includes stupid kids' shows like Pokemon, Digimon, Voltron (A kids' show, but a CLASSIC.), Dragon Ball Z and the like.

Personally, I think Columbia's anime club library is pretty pathetic. It was a let down.

Eh.

If anybody wants to have an anime-fest one night, I'm totally up for it. I've got a few series on DVD and a Kim's membership.

Sushi's really good too, but this post is already too long. For another time, then!

(The picture is of Athrun Zala from Gundam SEED. Yay Athrun!)

6 comments:

アリス said...

I would do an anime thing if some people wanted to get together, especially since I can't usually make it to Anime Club. I don't have anything with me at school, but I only live like half an hour away and I have a lot of stuff at home. I have all of X/1999, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, and Azumanga Daioh. I also have a TON of stuff on VHS (that's how long ago I got into anime, can you believe it?), but that's pretty much worthless now.

Where is the Anime Club library??

Jackie J said...

Anime club library is somewhere in Lerner. I think it's the third floor.

This Fashion Monkey said...

Are you into Naruto or Samurai Champloo? I highly recommend.

Jackie J said...

I've seen both. Naruto is a little over-played for my taste, but high quality. (Except for the American voice actors. -gag-) And Samurai Champloo is beautiful, but I got a little bored with the plot. I think I was hoping for something a little more like Samurai X and it got a little too...I dunno, modern? Still absolutely fabulous artwork. Solid recomendations.

Jackie J said...

I've seen both. Naruto is a little over-played for my taste, but high quality. (Except for the American voice actors. -gag-) And Samurai Champloo is beautiful, but I got a little bored with the plot. I think I was hoping for something a little more like Samurai X and it got a little too...I dunno, modern? Still absolutely fabulous artwork. Solid recomendations.

Aoi Tsuki said...

I see that you watch a lot of anime ^^. You should try watching Bleach, if you haven't already. Usually, those that like Naruto will like Bleach. But unlike Naruto, Bleach will not waste 10 min / episode on flashbacks.